Recipe Of The Week
We love this recipe by Maebell’s Farmers Market Fritters
Hearty cornmeal base with finely chopped yellow squash, thinly sliced okra, green onions spices and of course, cheddar cheese. These have the perfect balance of flavor. A little smokiness from the smoked paprika, a kick from the green onions and a bit of crunch from the okra. It is everything you want in an easy Summer dish!
Read more for the recipe.
- 2 cups yellow squash, shredded or chopped very finely
- 1 cup okra, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- canola or coconut oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until completely combined. Mixture will be thick.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat pour just enough canola or coconut oil in the skillet to cover the bottom.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the fritter mixture into the skillet. Lightly pat the batter flat with the back of your scoop to flatten the mixture just a bit.
- Cook fritters 2-3 minutes until golden on each side.
- Serve immediately with ranch dipping sauce is preferred.
Find more Southern inspired recipes from Maebell here .