10 Things to Do with Citrus
When the market gives you lemons (or oranges, limes, and grapefruit)…here’s ten things to do with them:
- Cook with them (duh)! With anything from lemon bars to salad dressing, there are recipes using citrus for any meal of the day.
- Pick up a few mason jars and can your fruit. The process is simple and preserves the fruit so you can have your locally grown citrus long after the season is over.
- Clean your microwave by adding a sliced lemon to a bowl of water and let it steam for five minutes.
- Put a piece of lemon in your garbage disposal to keep it smelling fresh.
- Brighten your whites by soaking them in lemon juice before throwing them in the washing machine.
- Forget candles, simmer citrus peels on the stove for a homemade air freshener.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on other fruits and veggies you have to make make them last longer and keep them from oxidizing.
- Compost your citrus scraps! Not only is citrus good for you, but it’s also good for the earth.
- Infuse your water by allowing a few citrus slices and herbs to soak in it. Who needs sugar sweetened beverages when you can make a drink that tastes better and offers nutritional benefits?
- And last but not least, make lemonade.