Burger Throwdown Winning Recipe
Winning Burger Throwdown Recipe!!
KimSlaw Black Garlic Burgers
Created by: Ric Carrillo + John P Kraft
Featuring Carefree Spice Company Spices and The Proper Beast Sausages
Read More for ingredients and recipe
- 3 lbs. Proper Beast Garlic & Honey Sausage, ground
- 2 ciabatta rolls, sliced to make 6 rolls
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh dill sprigs
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup + 2 T red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- 2 T Carefree Spice Co. Ancho Chile Rub
- 2 T Carefree Spice Co. Asian Rub
- 1 T Sesame Oil
- 2 T honey
- 1 T kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 t black pepper
Recipe serves 6
- The day before, in a small pan, combine the red onion, 1 T honey, and 1 cup red wine vinegar and bring to a boil. Stir until the liquid is reduced and the onion is softened (3-4 minutes), then transfer to a heat-proof plastic container to refrigerate overnight.
- Combine dill, 2 of the minced garlic cloves, and cucumber in a large mason jar. Combine water, white vinegar, remaining honey, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then pour over the cucumber mason jar. Refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the cabbage, remaining minced garlic, and beef stock in a large saucepan to bring to a boil. Stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes) then transfer carefully to a large mason jar. Add the remaining red wine vinegar, sesame oil, and Asian rub, and stir to combine. Salt to taste, then refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, strain the red onion to remove any liquid not absorbed, then mince on a cutting board. Take ½ cup worth (you may have extra) and place it in a large bowl with crème fraiche and Ancho Chile rub, and purée until the consistency of a rough mustard.
- Start your grill. Mold your sausage into 6 equal sized burgers, and grill to your satisfied level of char (food safety: 160 F for internal temp), then add cut ciabatta for toasting.
- Add your red onion chili spread to the cut sides of all rolls. Top your bottom bun with a burger, a large spoonful of red cabbage Kim-slaw, a few pickles, and the other half of the roll.