The Impact of Your Donation
Arizona Gives Day helps raise awareness about Arizona nonprofits and the critical role they play in our communities and state. It inspires people to give generously to nonprofits making our state stronger, creating a thriving community for all. Although Arizona Gives Day takes place only once a year, your contributions continue to support non-profits, and the causes they’re dedicated to, year-round.
Phoenix Public Market, a year-round, weekly farmers market in downtown Phoenix is a program of 501c3 organization Community Food Connections. Community Food Connections mission is to create a community gathering place by supporting small farmers and businesses that strengthen sustainable food systems and produce healthy products for the local community. We place an emphasis on supporting local produce, products and ingredients.
When you give to Community Food Connections you are helping to
- Preserve America’s rural livelihoods and farmland. Phoenix Public Market provides one of the only low-barrier entry points for beginning farmers, allowing them to start small, test the market, and grow their businesses. It also provides a platform for farms of all size to sell their produce to the community.
- Stimulate local economies. Growers selling locally create 13 full time farm operator jobs per $1 million in revenue earned. Those that do not sell locally create 3. Phoenix Public Market supports over 100 local businesses at the Market.
- Increase access to fresh, nutritious food. We’re bringing fresh, wholesome food to the community week after week. PPM takes time to learn about the businesses that join the Market. PPM places an emphasis on local, healthy foods. PPM also partners with programs such as SNAP, FMNP, Double Up Arizona and Homegrown Healthy to create greater access to healthy foods.
- Support healthy communities. Farmers market vendors educate their shoppers. Four out of five farmers selling at markets discuss farming practices with their customers, and three in five discuss nutrition and how to prepare food. PPM hosts cooking demonstrations, shares shopping guides and recipes for how to shop and eat seasonal.
- Promote sustainability. Our farmers boast a variety of certifications including certified organic, certified naturally grown, GAP, Arizona grown and more. The Market promotes sustainability and partners with several local agencies to increase sustainable practices within our neighborhoods.