We love so many things about figs including enjoying them fresh, dicing them into oatmeal, topping pizzas with them and slicing them with savory cheese. But we also love these
Top Ten Fun Facts About Figs
1. Figs are actually a flower and not a fruit.
2. In ancient Greece, figs were regarded with such esteem that laws were created forbidding the export of the best quality figs.
3. Fig trees have no blossoms on their branches.
4. Fig puree can be used to replace fat in baked goods.
5. Fossil records date figs back to between 9400-9200 B.C.
6. Figs are harvested according to nature’s clock, fully ripened and partially dried on the tree.
7. Figs are high in fiber and a great source of potassium. They’re also rich in nutrients like vitamin K.
8. They’re considered a part of the mulberry family.
9. Figs made their first commercial US product appearance with the introduction of Fig Newtons cookies in 1892.
10. Figs are known as the “fruit of the gods”.